The SCPA needed a solution that could ensure that truck drivers would reach that 8-12 mph window so that they could be checked in efficiently without slowing the cargo delivery process or creating needless traffic buildup.
The Ports Authority was seeking a solution that could:
- Regulate truck speeds so that photographs could be taken of incoming vehicles
- Notify incoming trucks of their speeds so that drivers could try to achieve the targeted speed window
- Message drivers whether they needed to slow down or speed up
- Let drivers know when they should maintain their speed
- Be programmable from SCPA offices in Charleston to signs at any port in the state
The innovative speed display sign has a full matrix of LED s so that driver speed, text messages, or a combination of the two can be displayed. The remote access offered by the SafePace Cloud means that port staff can program the signs from Charleston to the initial pilot program in Greer, SC, over 200 miles away.
The SCPA installed four SafePace 700 signs at ports in Greer and plans to install another eight at additional ports in Charleston and other South Carolina ports.
Endless Programming Options
“The signs have been amazing for us,” said Operations Analyst Matthews. “We can now regulate truck speeds and control the signs right from our offices in Charleston via the SafePace Cloud. The driver responsive text messaging that the signs include is really key for us. It keeps our whole system working.”
The staff at the local ports where the signs have been installed are enthusiastic as well. Now that speeds are regulated, trucks don’t have to circle back and cause needless traffic as they did when travelling too fast or slow for imaging to be captured.
- Reducing unnecessary traffic caused by trucks having to re-enter the gate until they achieved the targeted speed goals
- Improving the effectiveness of the truck imaging program by ensuring that trucks are traveling at the appropriate speeds for photos to be captured
- Keeping drivers aware whether they need to speed up, slow down, or maintain speeds
- Allowing SCPA staff to monitor and analyze data as well as program the signs remotely via the SafePace Cloud